Sunday 3 January 2016

Manton Warren And MSQ....A Dull Day.

I had planned today to travel further afield,but due to the crap weather conditions and forecast for the day i decided to stay local.
 I began my trip out today by walking up to Manton Warren and around the fields to the back of Messingham reserve to look onto the sheep fields.
 After getting a few layers on i began my walk and after passing the ruins of the old farmhouse a good sized flock of Yellowhammer were encountered along a hawthorn hedgerow beside some pheasant cover.After passing by an excellent total of 47 birds in this flock were counted and later a further flock of 14 were seen,impressive stuff for this declining farmland bird.
 Other birds observed around this area included 3 lovely Common Buzzard,a single Willow Tit with a flock of 6 Long-tailed Tit and 2 Lesser Redpoll.
 On the return walk back to the car,the best bird of the morning and a nice unseasonal surprise was seen,a Chiffchaff.It was first heard giving that distinct 'Hweet' call and i eventually managed to locate the little beauty.This species used to winter solely in Africa,but due to the warming of the climate it has began to be more commonly seen in the winter months,great to see all the same.
 I eventually made my way back to the car and then travelled the short distance over to Messingham reserve.
 Before leaving the car it was great to see a pair of Willow Tit and a Great-spotted Woodpecker visiting the reserve feeders,a nice start to the visit.
 I walked my way through the reserve,before i heard that distinct 'Pu Pu Pu' call and i saw the culprit on top of a waterside willow,a lovely Green Woodpecker,another bird that is always great to see.
 After making my way around to the main lake,highlights here included 6 Goldeneye,16 Pochard,15 Cormorant and 11 Shelduck.
 The forecasted rain arrived as i was watching from my viewpoint and i hurried my way back around to the car park,seeing only a couple of Siskin overhead before making my way home as the rain got heavier.
 A decent few hours out and about,shame about the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment